Edit What do you know about the Hamilton?
The town of Hamilton was originally known as Cadzow but was re-named in honour of James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton.
The Hamilton family constructed many landmark buildings in the area including the Mausoleum in Strathclyde Park, which has the longest echo of any building in the world.
Other historic buildings in the area include Hamilton Old Parish Church, a Georgian era building completed in 1734 and the only church to have been built by William Adam.
The graveyard of the old parish church contains some Covenanter remains. The former Edwardian Town Hall now houses the library and concert hall.
The Townhouse complex underwent a sympathetic modernization in 2002 and opened to the public in summer 2004. The ruins of Cadzow Castle also lie in Chatelherault Country Park, two miles from the town centre.
Hamilton Palace was the largest non-royal residence in the Western world, located in the north-east of the town.
A former seat of the Dukes of Hamilton, it was built in 1695, subsequently much enlarged, and demolished in 1921 due to ground subsidence.
It is widely acknowledged as having been one of the grandest houses in Scotland, was visited and admired by Queen Victoria, and was written about by Daniel Defoe.
Hamilton is twinned with Chattellerault in France. This connection dates from the 16th century when the title Duc de Chattellerault was conferred on James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran. The Duke's hunting lodge (now in Chatelherault Country Park), a primary school and new railway station are named 'Chatelherault' for this reason.
To the north of the Palace Grounds is the Low Parks Museum, housed in an old inn and recently refurbished.
The oldest building in Hamilton, the museum, was a 16th century inn and an old staging post for journeys between Glasgow and Edinburgh. The museum contains extensive exhibits on Hamilton Palace and also on the local Cameronian Scottish Rifles regiment (disbanded in 1968).
The area near Hamilton West railway station and Peacock Cross has also changed with the demolition of Hamilton Academical Football Club's original Douglas Park stadium in 1994.
A retail park was built on the site with New Douglas Park added behind it in 2001. Hamilton Academical F.C. (the Accies) was formed in 1874 and is one of Scotland's oldest senior clubs.
It takes its name from Hamilton Academy, now called Hamilton Grammar School, the oldest school in the town (founded 1588). It is the only professional football team in the UK to originate from a school team and play in the Scottish Premier League, having won the Scottish First Division title during 2007/2008.
The Hamilton Rugby Club can be found at the Laigh Bent sports ground, Bent Road. They currently play in the Scottish Premier League 3.
Hamilton Park Racecourse is situated alongside the town's Bothwell Road.
Speedway racing was staged in Hamilton between 1947 and 1955. The annual meeting was staged as part of the annual Lanarkshire Show and featured riders from across Scotland. The site of the track was the old ash football pitches of Strathclyde Park- an area now covered by the town square.
Be the first person to comment on this entry.